what to see / Christ Church ( Christuskirche)


The Christ Church (or Christuskirche) is a historic landmark and Lutheran church in Windhoek, Namibia. After the end of the wars between the Germans and the Khoikhoi, Herero, and Ovambo in 1907, the ground breaking ceremony took place and on October 16, 1910 the church was opened and dedicated as the Church of Peace. The Lutheran Church, which was built in the gothic revival style with Art Nouveau elements, stands in the historic center of Windhoek. Its 24 m high spire was made, like the rest of the church, out of quartz sandstone mined at Guche-Ganus Farm in the vicinity of present Avis Dam. The portal and the altar were made of marble from Italy. The clock and part of the roof was shipped from Germany, as were the three bronze bells cast by Franz Schilling. They bear the inscriptions "Ehre sei Gott in der Höhe" (Glory to God in the highest), "Friede auf Erden" (Piece on earth), and "Den Menschen ein Wohlgefallen" (Goodwill towards men). Duri... read more  Read More